Sunday, February 24, 2008

Lovingly, Vera



Last weekend I found some wonderful antique photos and postcards in a shop called 'Mindfull Books and Ephemera.' There was a basket with a sign reading 'collage fodder' and you can bet I had a field day digging through that! The collage pictured was made using one of the vintage photos I purchased. In this piece I have tried to present the opportunites that may have faced Vera when she graduated from high school in 1927. Did she travel the globe? Work at a small company entering numbers in a ledger? Pursue a career in music or theatre, or marry young and raise children whom she brought to the picture shows? This collage is my tribute to Vera and whatever path she chose.

© Nancy Lefko

5 comments:

Candace Trew Camling said...

we just had an antique show in town here and I got some great 5x7 and 8x10 photos that are AWESOME! for a dollar each! I couldn't believe it. I love collecting pictures that are old...and your work reminds me of the countless hours I've spent searching through junk stores and antique baskets set back in the corner. I love your work SO much!

Unknown said...

Hi Nancy...

what a wonderful post...and I just love your work and your passion for it...it really shows in everything you do...

Vera would smile and be thrilled with your tribute...

Cheers,
Diana

Unknown said...

just popping by for my nightly visit to say hello!

Cheers,
Diana

Anonymous said...

This is very cool. I love how thoughtfully you used this photo. Now you have me wondering what became of Vera. Sweet!

Oh, and thanks for your nice wishes when I wasn't feeling well, and I'd be honored if you linked to me. Thanks.

Ginger*:) said...

This is great... and I like hearing about 'Vera'. Maybe you will be putting a story on the back of each collage. I am sure Vera is sitting by her own fire today thinking back to her high school days. Maybe she is knitting too....