Sunday, November 4, 2007

New York Gal



My new collage, which will be on ebay later this evening, was lots of fun to create. I have been experimenting with the backgrounds of my more recent collages, using more paint and stamped images in addition to papers. For this collage I applied a coating of gel medium over the papers before applying paint, which gave me the option of removing paint from certain areas. This process gave me more flexibility and the option of changing my mind once paint had been applied. (Which for me is a good thing, as I've been known to change my mind with great frequency.) Once again, with this collage, I pay tribute to the greatest city in the world and the fact that no matter where I call home I will always be a 'New York Gal.'

© Nancy Lefko

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Nancy,
just a quick note to let you know I found your website via Illio Friday and enjoyed your collage artwork very much. I also stay in New York in September and fall in love with this city. Can't wait to see it again. But it's a big distance from Germany to New York.

Diane Duda said...

I've never even been to New York, and it's not all that far away really. What's wrong with me?

Your experimenting it paying off! This is beautiful!

xo
Di

Mim said...

I use the gel medium as an "oops" barrier also, it works well! I'm a New York City gal also, where are you from?

ELLA ELVIANA said...

terrific, i love your background, so rich of texture.

Ginger*:) said...

You can take the gal out of New York, but you can't take ....etc.etc.etc.
This is a great collage,Nancy. The colors, the composition the choice of words...all work together so well. All the details create a marvelous mood.

Did you add the sketchbook the NY Gal is holding.

Anastasia said...

fantastic collage! where do you find such great vintage images!!

Susan said...

Great collages! I love the old-time photos mixed with the newspapers and colored papers, it gives a depth to the artworks!