Saturday, January 9, 2010

Melange Team Bottle Challenge


The Melange Team is hosting an altered art bottle/jar challenge over at our blog. The challenge is open to anyone and runs through January 22. (There are prizes, too :)

When I first learned of this challenge, I wasn't sure I would participate as I really haven't created much in the way of 3D art. But when cleaning out a cupboard I found an old maple syrup bottle that I had saved for some reason. Right then and there, I knew it was kismet.

I didn't have any trouble coming up with an idea for this challenge, as the very first thing that popped into my head was the Jim Croce song, "Time in a Bottle." And I knew that I would use images of my three boys. As I ready my oldest for college in the fall, it has become startling clear how quickly these years have gone by. If only I could save that time in a bottle.


For the flip side, I knew the text from Rod Stewart's "Forever Young," was the right choice; especially when I heard son #2 singing it as I was working on the bottle in my studio. Kismet again.

The bottle was covered in stamped dressmaker's tissue and given an acrylic wash, followed by printing with bubble wrap and pieces of an onion bag for texture. Images, text and hearts were added, along with fibers to embellish.

I encourage you to join in on this challenge. The Melange Team at Etsy is a wonderful group of artists who always have some fun up their sleeves.

© Nancy Lefko

8 comments:

Brenda Lynn said...

Wonderful work, Nancy, and so heartwarming. What a treasured keepsake you've created!

Glenda-TwoCoolTexans said...

I love that you used your kids pictures. How fun!! Great job Nancy.

Silke Powers said...

OMG, that is so inspiring! I never thought of making a piece of art of a bottle! I'll have to try it!! Hope you are doing great! Hugs, Silke

Artsnark said...

Looks great, Nancy. You should play in 3D more often

Elizabeth Parsons said...

awwww....this warms my heart! The words to 'forever young' make me cry each time i hear it...i must be getting old...i just love the message in that song.

great piece

reagan said...

Very nice Nancy!

Unknown said...

that turned out lovely! what a good idea. my kids are all grown, and I so miss the little ones they once were!

Veronica said...

I really like the way you covered the bottom of the bottle. Your work is so precise!